Implementing EOS® in your company has its challenges and its benefits. It isn’t for everyone. Most people aren’t open to the idea of having an objective truth-teller working with the leadership team, leading them down a path to dig deeper and deeper in the land of assumptions and misguided beliefs. Egos get in the way – after all, it’s not easy admitting you were wrong in front of your employees, your boss, or your peers.
Maybe you’re asking yourself, Why would anyone willingly go through a process that can be so uncomfortable and painful at times? And they invest significant resources of time, people, and money to go through the process. What could the benefit be?
Here are five key challenges that every business owner experiences while working to build a great business – and five amazing outcomes of implementing the timeless, simple, practical EOS tools in their company.
5 Challenges to Building a Great Business
Every business owner experiences these key challenges when seeking to build a great business. They’re also the most common reasons why business leaders choose to implement EOS.
- Control – You don’t have flexibility over your own schedule. You’re working harder and longer hours than you want.
- Profit – You aren’t making enough money to invest in your people, training, technology, and equipment – and your own compensation – that you want.
- People – No one is really on the same page. Employees, vendors, customers, even owners and partners. It feels like you’re a referee on a day-to-day basis.
- Hitting the Ceiling – You feel like your business is stuck. The team and company were on a great trend, but for some reason you’re spinning your wheels. Maybe you’re not growing fast enough, or maybe you’re growing too fast! Maybe you’re not as efficient or as profitable as you should be. Or maybe you just want more balance in your life. You’ve hit the ceiling.
- Nothing is working – No matter how many great books you read or how many seminars you go to, whatever try to implement in your business doesn’t seem to stick.
5 Great Results of Running EOS
These are the amazing outcomes great businesses enjoy as a result of implementing EOS.
- Do more of what you love to do… – Effectively delegate to your team so that you’re freed up to spend more time on what you truly love to do. This is also where you add the most value to the business.
- …with people you enjoy – As a leader, you have the choice (and responsibility) to hire the right people and remove the wrong people. Leaders often forget that they can and need to choose who is on and off the team. You’ve got to build and protect your unique culture. When you get the right people in the right seats, amazing things happen.
- Your company is more effective – Your company’s purpose and niche (in EOS we call this “Core Focus”) is clearer than ever. As a result, your business is more efficient, more effective, and easier to manage. This positive impact can be felt among your clients, vendors, employees, and in the community.
- Your company sees more profit – When #1, #2, and #3 are being done consistently and effectively, as measured on a company scorecard, your business becomes more profitable with improved cash flow. The team wins, and You win.
- You find time for other passions in life – Your company is running like a well-oiled machine, giving you time back in your day. Yes, that’s right—your vision is coming true, and you’re freed up to the point where you have time left over at the end of the day. Now you can finally explore and pursue other passions in life while running a great company!
I believe every company on this planet could benefit tremendously from implementing EOS in their organization, but it just doesn’t work for everyone. I’ve found that the people who it works best for are entrepreneurial leaders who are growth oriented, respectful, appreciative, frustrated, wants help, willing to be vulnerable, and identifies with our 5 core values:
- Be Humbly Confident – No arrogance, know your stuff but don’t rub it in others faces. Be vulnerable, recognize you aren’t perfect!
- Grow or Die – You are more uncomfortable with the status quo than the prospect of change. You are a maximizer, wanting to take something good to something truly great.
- Help First – Believe in your heart that you get what you want out of life if you help enough people get what they want first. Simply put, it’s genuinely getting a high from helping people, and practicing what you preach by providing value for others before receiving anything from them.
- Do the Right Thing – Being real with one another, entering the danger by telling the truth to someone’s face even when it’s really hard. Said another way, no amount of money is worth betraying a trust.
- Do What You Say – Fully deliver what you promise on time. Take full responsibility, never pointing your finger at anyone else. Know that saying “no” to someone who asks something of you is better than being guilted into saying “yes” and not getting it done.
Discover EOS for Yourself
Don’t take my word for it – watch these short videos of what real-world EOS clients are saying about implementing EOS in their organizations.
If this resonates with you and you want to see how to implement these tools in your business, schedule a free 90-minute introductory meeting with your leadership team. You’ll discover how EOS can help your business become great.